Boston United 2 Shrewsbury Town 2

Last updated : 18 September 2004 By Footymad Previewer

Honours ended even as Boston and Shrewsbury battled out what was generally a low-key draw - despite a first-half goal flurry.

The visitors led twice, but each time saw their advantage wiped out.

But it was a mini goal spree that petered out in a largely tame second period.

The game's first moment of danger took 11 minutes to arrive, even then home keeper Nathan Abbey had no major concerns in clutching a long-range drive by former Pilgrim Richard Logan.

Boston struggled to find any real penetration and fell behind on 25 minutes when Logan fired in from 20 yards against his old pals via a deflection off Mark Greaves after Luke Rodgers had laid the ball back to him.

Boston finally got their act together and levelled in the 31st minute when Jason Lee headed in at the far post from a Courtney Pitt left-wing cross.

But Boston hit the self destruct button three minutes later when Ben Smith seized on a weak back header by Lee Beevers beat Abbey in a challenge and tapped into an empty net.

However another home equaliser arrived in the 42nd minute when Andy Kirk fired in from a Chris Holland centre.

Logan missed a good chance to restore Shrewsbury's lead on 50 minutes, when he failed to connect with a Rodgers cross and Abbey gratefully collected.

Back at the other end, Boston thought they had taken the lead on 55 minutes, when Lee flicked in from a Pitt centre, only for the effort to be ruled offside.

Shrewsbury hit back and it took a fine save from keeper Abbey to thwart another Logan drive on the hour mark.

Clear openings were less frequent after that, although Shrewsbury generally looked more composed in their build up work.

Ross Stephens came within a whisker of firing them back in front on 79 minutes when shooting just too high from a Darren Moss free-kick.

In the dying throws, Boston came close to snatching a win, but Lee Thompson's low 18-yard drive flashed wide of the post.