Shrewsbury Town 1 Yeovil Town 2

Last updated : 25 September 2004 By Footymad Previewer

Shrewsbury Town saw their recent good run come to an end - as they went down to 2-1 at home to fast-improving Yeovil Town in an incident-packed Gay Meadow encounter.

Hot-shot striker Luke Rodgers fired Shrewsbury ahead in the 38th minute with a typically spectacular strike, but two goals inside three second-half minutes from Lee Johnson and substitute Bartozs Tarachulski clinched victory for the visitors.

Yeovil were denied a bigger winning margin by Shrews goalkeeper Scott Howie. He saved an 88th minute penalty from Gavin Williams and when the referee ordered the kick to be retaken, Howie made an equally brilliant save to deny Williams a second time.

Going into the match unbeaten in four league games and with on-loan Peterborough United striker Richard Logan making an impressive home debut, Shrewsbury had the better of the opening exchanges, but it was not until seven minutes before the break that they made the breakthrough, although it was well-worth waiting for.

There appeared no apparent danger when Rodgers collected the ball 20 yards from goal - but his superb right-foot shot ripped past helpless Yeovil keeper Chris Weale into the net.

But after the break the Glovers gained the upper-hand, and after Phil Jevons and Tarachulski had gone close, the visitors finally drew level on 70 minutes when Johnson followed up to score after Howie had initially saved well from Tarashulki - who was on hand to clinch victory for Yeovil three minutes later when he netted from close range.

Williams was given the opportunity to register an even bigger win for Yeovil two minutes from time after he was fouled in the box by Shrewsbury defender Stuart Whitehead.

His first kick was brilliantly beaten away by Howie, only for the referee to order a retake after judging Howie had moved before the ball was kicked. Williams tried again but was once again denied by Howie - but Yeovil's sixth win in eight games was secure.