Shrewsbury Town 4 Scarborough 1

Last updated : 24 February 2004 By Footymad Previewer

Shrewsbury Town reclaimed their place in the Conference play-off frame with an ultimately emphatic 4-1 home win over visiting Scarborough.

But a victory that equalled the Gay Meadow side's best of the season did not look on the cards when they left the field to a chorus of dissent from the home crowd at half-time – and trailing to a goal gifted to Chris Senior in the 19th minute.

But Shrewsbury hit-back in fine fashion in the second-half with goals from Jake Sedgemore, Martin O'Connor and a brace from Duane Darby ensuring Shrewsbury ran out comfortable winners – also erasing the memory of a lacklustre first half display.

But even then Shrewsbury did things the hard way – being reduced to ten men following the 70th minute dismissal of striker Luke Rodgers for receiving a second yellow card. But the visitors also finished the match a man short as Scott Kerr followed Rodgers down the tunnel four minutes later for the same offence.

Due to postponements and FA Trophy involvement, Shrewsbury had dropped out of the Conference promotion reckoning in recent weeks – and there was nothing in their insipid first half display to suggest a climb back up the table was imminent. Indeed, a mix-up between goalkeeper Scott Howie and skipper Darren Tinson allowed Senior to nod into an empty net as Scarborough took an unlikely lead during a ragged, disjointed first half.

But when Darby coolly slotted home O'Connor's pass nine minutes after the restart, Shrewsbury were back in business – with Sedgemore's well struck free-kick finally putting them ahead just after the hour mark. Despite the red card for Rodgers the home side continued to dominate and O'Connor's 20 yarder in the 73rd minute put the outcome beyond all doubt.

With Scarborough also down to ten men when Kerr was ordered off, Shrewsbury rounded things off in fine style – Darby sweeping home from close range after Ryan Lowe had crossed dangerously into the goalmouth.